Saturday, May 16, 2009

This season's wild goose goslings

Today is the first day that I have seen this season's goslings brought out by their parents to feed and parade. The parading part of my description is obviously an anthropomorphism.

Over the last few days I have begun to realize, on a new level, the size and import of the wetlands that are part of our property. Every day I get to see the beaver, muskrats, geese, ducks, herons, bitterns, etc. associated with the wetlands of Paradox Creek that run along our road frontage for a quarter of a mile or more. It is quite amazing and I take it completely for granted.

Just yesterday, as I was mowing my lawn, a Mayfly landed on my glasses. I could see it out of the corner of my eye and thought that there are many an urban fisher who would die to live in a place where a mayfly is an annoyance, rather than a cause for celebration! Actually, if they would indeed die for it, then they would give up their job and move here! Of course, there is the small matter of the blackflies biting my calves just above the sock line as they move up my open pants legs to get at my blood. Why did I forget the rubber bands that I usually put around my cuffs to prevent this?

No comments: