Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cape Ann, Massachusetts - gathering compost


Each fall, after our rental season is over, Naomi and I take a trip to the New England Coast for a little R&R. The last few years, I take the occasion to gather some seaweed as compost for my garden. I understand that seaweed can offer the garden many trace elements that the garden doesn't ordinarily get from regular land based compost. I also like it because it is very fibrous and takes a long time to completely break down, thus adding good tilth to the soil.
It makes the car smell like the sea on the way back home! I take this as another advantage - prolongs the vacation.

Cape Ann Oct. '08

Wind whipped waves splayed
against a gently sloped beach

Each erupting from below,
Animated by desire to break free

Is the whole ocean conspiring,
Throwing itself upon the land?

Complicit wind shears the crest
Wresting desperate drops aloft

Thrilled by towering waves above me,
Trembling at the thought of rules broken

"Thus shall you come and no farther,
And here shall your proud wave be Stopped."
Job 38:11

No comments: